23 May 2023
CHEMUK 2023 opened its doors on Wed 10th & Thur 11th May at the NEC in Birmingham to a record attendance of 3956 visitors (excluding exhibitor staff) over the two days, representing an increase of 41% from the 2022 edition. The total two-day attendance (visitors plus exhibitors) was 5559.
CHEMUK show founder, Ian Stone, sums up this years’ event: "The industry is now responding to the single ‘destination experience’ of CHEMUK providing deliberately segmented zones of specialist industry capability and solutions, supported with unmissable intelligence, whilst at the same time uniting the entire UK chemical industries ‘value chain’ under one giant roof annually".
Minister George Freeman leads UK Government briefing
A dedicated video address from the Minister of State at the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology, George Freeman, underpinned a comprehensive UK Government presence and input across the two days, with show floor presence and vital conference input from the Department for Business and Trade, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, and Health and Safety Executive. You can watch the full address at www.chemicalukexpo.com.
CHEMLAB Laboratory & Innovation Zone launches at CHEMUK 2023
Commenting on the introduction of the ‘CHEMLAB’ Laboratory & Innovation
Zone this year, Stone states, "This addressed, head-on, the need of R&D teams, analytical chemists, and teams in the crucial areas of early-stage growth and scale-up, showcasing a wide range of progressive lab-based solutions from the latest lab automation, chemical analytical tools, speciality services, flow chemistry innovations, innovation ecosystems, and much more, supporting the quality and acceleration of R&D cycles in the chemical, biochemical, and formulated product sectors."
IChemE adds to the line-up of supporting bodies.
The 2023 show saw the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) join an already impressive line-up of supporting industry and trade bodies both on the show floor and hosting crucial intelligence and keynotes across the integrated CHEMUK conference. This included the likes of CBA, BCA, BASA, BioVale, BCMPA, CPI, CCUK, IBioIC, GAMBICA, NEPIC, SIA, and InnovateUK KTN, to name a few.
RSC as CHEMUK 2023
The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) was again at the centre of CHEMUK, with a packed two-day programme including an RSC stand, careers clinic, feature RSC conference sessions, a keynote from current RSC President, Professor Gill Reid, and a dedicated members reception.
‘Sustainability’ ever-present at CHEMUK
Sustainability’ was the common thread across the event this year, with progressive energy and emissions reduction solutions, process optimisation and greater operational efficiency of petro-chemical-based plants, through to a wealth of coverage on developing ‘green chemistry’ innovation supporting the transition towards bio-based chemicals and downstream products. Industrial Biotechnology and Bio-process innovations were reflected across all three zones and extensively through the conference programmes.
Where the magic happens!
CHEMUK has become the only destination in the UK where all the key bodies, major companies, and industry stakeholder groups embracing organic and inorganic synthetics, formulation chemistry, analytical and materials chemistry, industrial biotechnology, and chemical and process engineering are ‘predictably’ in the same ‘time’ and ‘space’, under one giant roof, alongside a wealth of downstream chemical-dependent industries.
Stone reflects on this crucial sector-wide annual convergence under the CHEMUK canopy: "This is where the magic can happen, where conversations can take place with wider networks, outside often restricted ‘silos of interest’ in pursuance of wider common industry goals, fostering exciting dialogue and new project momentum".
Dates for Diary: CHEMUK 2024 (NEC, Birmingham) Wed 15 & Thu 16 May 2024
CHEMUK 2023 Exhibitor Testimonials:
- “From its quality, to the footfall, our location, everything – top notch from start to finish. The BVAA stand was never empty and we were delighted to be in amongst all our valve brethren.” CEO, British Valve and Actuator Association
- “The ChemUK Event is going from strength to strength, with increasing footfall every year, Exloc enjoyed another successful show in 2023 and have already secured our stand for 2024.”
Managing Director, Exloc Instruments
- 2023 was our first time exhibiting and what a successful show it was, having previously only been a visitor at the previous CHEM UK’s held, the mix of people and industries covered has resulted in some really good opportunities with existing and prospect customers. We have already booked for 2024 and look forward to another successful event. Regional Business Manager, MegaChem
- “ChemUK2023 was a vibrant and well attended event with cleverly designed zones and stages. Its strong and sustained growth over the past few years is a testament the previously unmet need for a UK chemicals ‘meeting place’ and to the professionalism of the organisers. Great job and looking forward to ChemUK2024.” Founder & Group CEO, Chemical Search
- ChemUK has been a great way to connect businesses and build relationships for the benefit of the industry. We have exhibited since the beginning and have found that it has always been a well-executed and positive experience for everyone and has become an integral part of our business’s marketing strategy. Business Manager, 2M Holdings Ltd
- “As a first-time exhibitor here, we felt that Chem UK attracted the ideal mix of quality and quantity of customers and prospects for the product range we offer. My colleagues and I are looking forward to returning in future”. Jaimie Vaughan, Marketing Co-ordinator, Epco Plastics
- “We were very pleasantly surprised at the number of visitors who came to see us, and the interest it’s generated for more information on our products and services.” Operations Manager, Autichem
- “The show was a great success for SAFI Valves – this was our 3rd year in a row exhibiting and the show gets better and better each year for us.” General Manager, SAFI UK & US
- “This is the third time Asynt has attended CHEMUK 23, and again it was absolutely fantastic. The event provided an exceptional platform to showcase our latest technologies and innovations to a diverse audience of industry professionals and academics. We were thrilled with the quality of interactions we had with attendees and the opportunities it created for new partnerships and collaborations, as well as catching up with our “old” customers, colleagues, and friends.
Director of Business Development, Asynt Ltd
- “We exhibited at this exhibition for the first time, and I can only say, ‘Well done! The event was very well organised, and people were on hand to help at all times. The mix of visitors was fantastic which is helped by the versatile spread of exhibitors. We took 115 leads from this event, so needless to say, we have rebooked for next year”.
Product Group Leader, Caldic UK
- The show was buzzing from the first morning and we hardly stopped for breath! People looking for pump system builders and for solutions to the more difficult pumping applications visited us in their droves. It already feels like another successful CHEMUK show for us, which is why we did not hesitate to sign up again for next year! Sales Engineer, Marshall Pumps
- “CHEMUK never fails to get better every year, we had a busy show and some fantastic leads, we have already booked again for next year” Marketing Director, Flowquip & Flowhire
- My colleague and I walked the show in 2022 and came away with a goal to exhibit the following year. I can say without doubt that the show fulfilled every expectation. The quality of visitors to our stand fitted exactly our Ex-Solutions offering and provided us with a very good number of leads that we are now following up. Materials Handling Sales Manager, Pyroban Ltd
- ‘RSE is a specialist water treatment and clean energy solutions provider, delivering a wide range of standard and engineered water treatment and chemical dosing solutions. Exhibiting at CHEMUK 2023 allowed our teams to highlight RSE’s range of capabilities and network with existing and potential clients across a variety of industries. The team had a busy two-day event displaying our innovative water treatment solutions and showcasing our chemical dosing products to the wider industry, with the exhibition’s success resulting in lead generation for our business streams’ Marketing, Ross-Shire Engineering
- A very well organised and well-attended conference. It was a pleasure to attend ChemUK for the first time, and we can’t wait to return next year to see our customers and make further connections. Our teams from sales, development & logistics found the event valuable for both networking & exchange within the industry.
Senior Chemist, Life Science - Safic Alcan UK
- “CHEMUK23 was a great success for Holiferm. As well as hosting our own stand, representatives from the company gave presentations and took part in panel discussions across the two days. This allowed us to increase our presence at the event thereby attracting a greater footfall to our stand and an increased amount of interest in our processes and products. We were able to cultivate a number of very promising new leads, as well as renewing and deepening relationships with existing and previous customers, partners and collaborators. We are looking forward to CHEMUK24 and the opportunities it will offer us to grow further as a business.” Managing Director, Holiferm
- We found ChemUK opened access to a great network of businesses both nationally and internationally. We even had the opportunity to meet people from the region who will benefit from the R&D capabilities Bridge has to offer but hadn't crossed paths with us previously. The buzz of the event and the smooth process of exhibiting made the event run easily and allowed us to focus on showcasing our capabilities. Project Coordinator, The Bridge – University of Lincoln
- IS-Instruments were pleased to meet new and current contacts during our second time exhibiting at CHEMUK. Our team had worthwhile discussions with several interesting delegates, focussing on our gas Raman spectrometer and fluorescence-free Raman spectrometer. After CHEMUK, we hope to move forward with these contacts and continue growing our network. Business Development Manager, IS-Instruments
CHEMUK 2023 Visitor Testimonials
- “There is nothing like this in the UK and is a must for anyone working in the chemical industry. It is an opportunity to find out what is happening in your area and others, discuss opportunities with exhibitors showing their novel ideas and also meeting up with old and new connections.” Operations Director, Eternis Fine Chemicals UK Ltd
- “CHEMUK 2023 was Disney for Chemists!” Section Head, Concept Life Sciences
- “I really enjoyed attending CHEMUK 2023, this was a great event to meet new customers and contacts. I look forward to attending CHEMUK 2024 next year.” Commercial Director, Sulfo Surfactants Ltd